Saturday, AuG. 27, 2016
- Alex Reyes will make his first start for the Cardinals tonight against Oakland at Busch Stadium. Reyes is taking the start of Mike Leake, who has been diagnosed with shingles. Reyes has worked nine scoreless innings in relief since he was promoted from Memphis earlier this month.
- Chris Carpenter, Joe Torre and the late Terry Moore and Sam Breadon were inducted into the Cardinals Hall of Fame today in a ceremony at Ballpark Village. Carpenter and Torre were elected in a fan note, Moore was selected by a veteran's committee and Breadon was the pick of the team's owners.
- On Friday night, Luke Weaver earned his first career win as the Cardinals finally beat an American League team at Busch Stadium with a 3-1 win over the Oakland Athletics. Weaver allowed just four hits over six innings, recording seven strikeouts in his third career start, his first at home.
- The Cardinals had been 0-7 at home against AL teams this year and had won just one of their last 10 games in inter-league play at Busch dating back to last June.
- Weaver got all the offense he needed from the first two batters in the bottom of the first, when Matt Carpenter singled and Jedd Gyorko followed with a home run, his 22nd of the year. The Cardinals have now homered in 15 consecutive games.