Monday, May 25, 2015
- Matt Carpenter hit a two-run homer and Michael Wacha became the first seven-game winner in the NL in leading the Cardinals over the Royals 6-1 on Sunday in Kansas City.
- Wacha is the first Cardinal pitcher to win at least his first seven decisions since Matt Morris went 8-0 to begin the season in 2005. The Cardinals have won all nine of Wacha's starts this season.
- Matt Holliday was a late scratch from the starting lineup because of a left arm contusion caused when he was hit by a pitch on Saturday night. Jason Heyward also did not play for the second consecutive game because of tightness in his hip.
- The Cardinals return home to begin a nine-game homestand with a 3:15 p.m. Memorial Day game today against the Diamondbacks. Carlos Martinez will pitch against Chase Anderson.
- The Cardinals also said that pitcher Marco Gonzales will miss his scheduled start today for Triple A Memphis after again complaining of tightness in his left shoulder. He will be re-examined this week by team doctors in St. Louis.