Jaime Garcia reacts after being hit on the left elbow while batting in the second inning in his rehab start Sunday in Springfield. (Mark Harrell/Springfield Cardinals)

Jaime Garcia will be examined by Cardinals’ doctors in St. Louis on Monday after he was forced to leave Sunday’s rehab start at Double A Springfield with an injury to his left elbow.

Garcia was hurt when he was hit by a pitch while batting in the second inning. Precautionary X-rays were negative but Garcia likely will be forced to miss at least one start.

Garcia was not happy about what happened, venting his anger at Tulsa pitcher Taylor Anderson, a left-hander. Tulsa is the Rockies’ Double A affiliate.

With the bases loaded, Anderson hit Garcia with an 0-2 pitch that ran up and in on Garcia, a left-handed batter.

"The ball is coming right at my face," Garcia told Kary Booher of the Springfield News-Leader. “The pitcher's got no business trying to go up there. If you can't make the pitch down against a pitcher, the guy shouldn't be in this league, I think. I was trying to get out of the way, and it hits my elbow. If I don't get out of the way, it hits my face."

Garcia was making his first start after spending the last month in extended spring training. He had been diagnosed with bursitis in his left shoulder early in spring training.

“It’s really, really frustrating,” Garcia told Booher. “But, again, I’m trying to be positive about this thing. I get out of one thing and something else happens. It’s very disappointing. I’m seeing this thing as just a little bump and be back right where I was.”

The Cardinals said they will have more information about Garcia’s schedule after he sees the doctors on Monday.

Before he was hurt Garcia made 28 pitches in two innings. He allowed three hits, one of which was a two-run homer by Harold Riggins, while striking out two and walking one.

The good news for the Cardinals in Springfield’s game came in the eighth inning, when Jason Motte also made his first rehab assignment after coming out of extended spring training. He struck out the side, throwing nine strikes and four balls in the inning.

“This was the first time I’ve been on the mound in 13 months,” Motte said. “Pumped up. Excited. I’m not sure what the word is. … It was nice to get my feet wet and throw some pitches in front of a crowd.”

Motte will stay with the Double A team and likely pitch again in a couple of days. The Cardinals have not said how long his rehab will last – there is a 30-day limit on rehab assignments for pitchers.